Fall is the perfect time to get out and tour all the regal homes of Washington’s forefathers AND foremothers….
For more information check Washington DC Historic Homes Consortium
- Woodrow Wilson House in Dupont Circle
- Frederick Douglass’ Home in Anacostia in SE Washington
- The Octagon House in NW Washington now the American Institute of Architects
- Lincoln’s Cottage at the Soldier’s Home in Petworth
- Heurich Mansion (German beer maker) in Foggy Bottom
- Tudor House (Martha Washington’s daughter) in Georgetown
- Mary McLeod Bethune Council House (civil rights activist) near U Street NW
- Blair and Decatur Houses (Colonial era open only for tours) in Lafayette Square near The White House
- Clara Barton House in Glen Echo Park (started the Red Cross)
- Gunston Hall Plantation (George Mason founder of the Bill of Rights)
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin aka Josiah Henson House in North Bethesda MD
- Pope-Leighy House by Frank Lloyd Wright in AlexandriaTop: Inside the Sewall Belmont House, outside Sewall Belmont House, and Decatur House
Freelance writer and photographer specializing in vivid, deeply reported stories about food, travel and family.